Chancellor's Honors Convocation recognizes IUPUI teachers, researchers, mentors and students
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
INDIANAPOLIS -- The excellence of IUPUI teachers, researchers, mentors, and students will be recognized today at the annual Chancellor's Academic Honors Convocation in Hine Hall Auditorium, beginning at 4 p.m.
The convocation is a celebration of outstanding achievement and excellence across all areas of IUPUI's mission: teaching and learning; research, scholarship and creative activity; civic engagement; and diversity, collaboration and best practices.
For the first time, the Charles R. Bantz Chancellor's Community Fellowship will be awarded. Created in 2015 in recognition of the former chancellor's leadership and contributions to the campus and the community, this fellowship reflects Bantz's dedication to research that creates university-community partnerships and results in community impact.
Paul Mullins and Susan Hyatt of the School of Liberal Arts are receiving the Charles R. Bantz Chancellor's Community Fellowship award of $50,000 for their proposal entitled "Invisible Indianapolis: Race, Heritage and Community Memory in the Circle City." Their community partners are Concord Community Center and Ransom Place Neighborhood Association.
The Charles R. Bantz Community Scholar Award of $25,000 is being awarded to Richard Holden, School of Informatics and Computing, for his research into brain health-promoting information technology in partnership with Joy's House and Mental Health America Indianapolis.
Awards focusing on teaching and their recipients are:
- Chancellor's Professor Award - Philip K. Goff, School of Liberal Arts
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching - Robert E. Elliott, School of Engineering and Technology
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Multicultural Teaching - Jonathan P. Rossing, School of Liberal Arts
- Chancellor's Diversity Scholar Award - Jomo Mutegi, School of Education
Awards honoring research work and their recipients are:
- Bantz-Petronio Translating Research Into Practice Faculty Award - Patricia J. Scott, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Glenn W. Irwin, Jr., M.D. Research Scholar Award - Anila Agha, Herron School of Art and Design
Contributions by campus mentors to strengthen IUPUI's academic reputation also will be recognized:
- Alvin S. Bynum Award for Excellence in Academic Mentoring - Crystal H. Morton, School of Education
Awards being presented to recognize contributions in civic engagement are:
- Chancellor's Faculty Award for Excellence in Civic Engagement - Todd Saxton, Kelley School of Business
- Chancellor's Community Award for Excellence in Civic Engagement - Burmese Community Center for Education
- Glenn W. Irwin, Jr., M.D. Experience Excellence Award - John Hassell, Kelley School of Business
Recipients of the Trustees' Teaching Award will also be recognized.
Other award categories will highlight national or regional achievements:
- Prestigious External Award Recognition
- Recognizing External Achievements
Three award categories will honor students:
- Chancellor's Scholars
- Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research honor
- Sherry Queener Graduate Student Excellence Award
- Office 317-274-2195